Need a last-minute Halloween party treat idea? Look no further.
Rosanna Pansino, the creator of YouTube’s Nerdy Nummies turns Frankenstein into a cute confection with this recipe. Her version uses mint extract for a refreshing kick, but if you prefer a more classic taste you can omit it (and it’s only 5 ingredients!).
For more creepy-cute Halloween dessert options, check out our full list of recipes.
Rosanna Pansino’s Mint Chocolate Frankenstein Bars Recipe
3 tbsp. salted butter
4¼ cups miniature marshmallows
½ tsp. peppermint extract
Green food coloring gel
6 cups crisp rice cereal
1 (12-oz.) package dark-chocolate baking chunks or chips, melted
1. Coat a 13×9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Reserve 24 miniature marshmallows. Add remaining marshmallows to melted butter; cook, stirring constantly, until marshmallows are completely melted and well blended, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Add peppermint extract and desired amount of food coloring gel; stir until well blended.
3. Add cereal; stir until evenly coated. Press mixture firmly onto bottom of prepared pan. Let cool completely, about 25 minutes.
4. Remove cereal mixture from pan to a cutting board. Cut into 12 rectangles or squares.
5. Cut reserved 24 miniature marshmallows in half with a sharp knife or scissors.
6. Dip 1 end of each bar into melted chocolate, and place on waxed paper. Let stand until completely dry, about 2 hours.
7. Transfer remaining melted chocolate to a decorating bag fitted with a No. 2 tip. Attach miniature marshmallow halves to bars for “eyes” and “neck bolts” with a dot of melted chocolate. Pipe a dot of chocolate on each eye; pipe a long straight line between two vertical short lines for mouth.
Active time: 35 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes, plus cooling